Thinkbaby Safe Sunscreen SPF 50+ benefiting LIVESTRONG
- First Sunscreen to pass Whole Foods Premium Care Requirements
- Top Rated by EWG with a “1” rating in 2010, 2011, and 2012 for Baby, Beach and Sport
- Free of biologically harmful chemicals (No Avobenzone, Oxybenzone or UV Chemical absorbers)
- Highest SPF 50+ per FDA 2012 Rules
- Highest level of Broad-spectrum UVA and UVB protection per FDA 2012 Rules
- Highest level of water resistance (80 minutes) per FDA 2012 Rules
- Non-nano formulation - Average particle size >100micron
- Non-aerosol formulation (High concern of both ineffectiveness and particulates being inhaled)
- Paraben, phthalate, PABA and 1,4 dioxane free
- Applies and absorbs easily. Non-oily feel
- Sunscreen produced in the USA
- Does not have an obtrusive smell that many organic sunscreens have.
- A member of the Safe Cosmetics Campaign Compact
- Official LIVESTRONG Partner: Purchase of this product helps guaranty a minimum of $50,000 will go to improve the lives of people affected by cancer.
- Featured in: Tennis, Bicycling, Natural Child, Daily Candy (top pick), Men’s Health (top pick), Competitor, Standard, Pharmacy Times, Men’s Journal (top pick), Chicago Tribune, Times Square, The Daily Green, YNN News, Denver News, Triathlete, and 100s of online review sites. Cribsie and Red Hat Product Finalist.
- Travel safe tube size - TSA Compliant - 3 fl oz
At THINKBABY and THINKSPORT, we are continually expanding our mission to provide safe products by identifying consumer product categories with known human health issues. Specifically, we target products that contain high levels of hormone disruptors and carcinogens. We then work with leading scientists worldwide to create safe alternatives.
The majority of sunscreens currently on the market are full of questionable ingredients and known carcinogens. Simply looking at the ingredients you’ll quickly realize you don’t recognize any of them. Many existing sunscreens have been brought to market with little concern for their safety. Not only do ingredients in sunscreen interact with skin, but data shows after application of lotions, some of the same chemicals can be detected in the bloodstream. Most people wear sunscreen to reduce the chance of developing cancer, so why apply something that could potentially increase this risk? This question has unfortunately left many people moving away from using sunscreen at all.
How is the THINKBABY and THINKSPORT LIVESTRONG different?
The new sunscreen developed by THINKBABY and THINKSPORT LIVESTRONG sunscreen is highly effective, falls into the highest category for water resistance and has a sensible SPF 50+ rating. A quick look on your local drugstore shelf will show an increasing number of chemical sunscreens boasting ultra-high SPFs of 70 and greater. An SPF higher than SPF 30 offers only minimal improvement in sun protection and does not provide insight into its ability to protect for both UVA and UVB. Instead, these ultra-high SPFs are inflated through the use of chemical UV absorbers. The FDA has recently ruled that SPF numbers above 50 are not allowed. They have also ruled the terms Sweatproof and Waterproof as false claims.
You should know that the effective difference between SPF 30 and SPF 100 is approximately 2.5% difference. Don’t be misled by ultra-high SPF numbers.
Additionally, THINKBABY and THINKSPORT LIVESTRONG sunscreens utilize average zinc oxide particles greater than 110nm. Kevin Brodwick, founder of THINKBABY and THINKSPORT explains why: “We always use the precautionary principle and as we expect the debate on the safety of nano particles to continue, we asked a simple question: Does the product have to contain nano particles to be an effective sunscreen? The answer is, quite simply, ‘no.’ “
We also do not and won’t use aerosol dispensers, nor should you. Scientists have shown that parents apply 25% of the correct amount when using aerosol. As the SPF is actually a logarithmic function, if you are applying a SPF 100, you’re actually only putting on SPF equivalent of 3. More importantly, there is significant concern that children and parents are inhaling the particulates. If you look at the ingredients in aerosol sunscreens, you’ll quickly determine why you don’t want to breathe it.
How do I use THINKBABY and THINKSPORT LIVESTRONG sunscreen?
Applying THINKBABY and THINKSPORT LIVESTRONG sunscreen
Children over the age of 6 months and anyone who will be exposed to sunlight should use sunscreen.
THINKBABY and THINKSPORT LIVESTRONG sunscreen is perfect for anyone spending time in the sun, including pregnant women, children over 6 months, and anyone with sensitive skin.
THINKBABY and THINKSPORT LIVESTRONG sunscreen is a physical sunscreen which means it works immediately upon application. It is not necessary to apply 30 minutes before you are exposed to sunlight as is the case with chemical sunscreens. THINKBABY and THINKSPORT sunscreen is classified as “water resistant - 80 minutes.” This is the FDA’s highest possible rating. It will maintain its SPF after 80 minutes of water immersion. The Environmental Working Group recommends reapplying sunscreen every two hours.
THINKBABY and THINKSPORT LIVESTRONG sunscreen is perfect for sensitive skin. We recommend testing on a small area of the body to ensure that you don't have any sensitivities.
Sunscreens that claim to be hypo-allergenic are nothing more than marketing hype in our opinion. As the population's exposure to chemicals has risen, there has been a direct correlation to things that people become allergic to. Simply google environmental exposure and allergies to view some of this research.
Tips for Application
THINKBABY and THINKSPORT formula applies easily and absorbs quickly. Be sure to apply all areas that will be exposed to sunlight, including behind the ears, neck, hands, feet, and scalp. Reapply every two hours or more as needed. While the sunscreen applies very easily, we recommend not spreading it too thin. Otherwise you will decrease the effectiveness of the sunscreen. Keep in mind that physical sunscreens work by reflecting sunlight.